Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site Testing
The 19th & early 20th centuries was the height of the period when Manufactured Gas Plants (MGPs) were producing gas to light cities around the United States. The plants were located near the point of use, close to a water source required for the gas production. A number of different fuels and processes were used, giving rise to a range of residual materials. With the advent of electricity and other sources of gas, many sites were leveled and re-developed leaving potentially harmful by-products in place. MGP site projects can be both complex and challenging to investigate and clean up, requiring a broad range of specialized environmental testing services.
Alpha Analytical has considerable experience working on all aspects of MGP site characterization and remediation. In addition to air testing and soil gas analysis, Alpha offers specialty testing for sediments, soils and groundwaters, including alkylated PAHs, cyanide and the typical MGP-associated analyses. Alpha has the technical knowledge and experience, no matter what the matrix, to provide the best possible data from potentially highly contaminated samples.
For MGP sites, where vapor intrusion is a concern, Alpha offers an extended hydrocarbon analyte list, which includes the NYSDEC 'compounds of potential concern' (COPCs) list for MGP sites; plus a number of the marker compounds considered characteristic for MGP air-phase emissions.
Whether your need is fence-line air monitoring for VOCs or PAHs during MGP site remediation, or to investigate the potential for vapor intrusion, Alpha Analytical has the testing tools to meet all your needs for MGP site investigation and remediation.
Air & Vapor Testing to Support MGP Site Investigations
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) [TO-15 or TO-14 analyte list]
NYSDEC MGP List *
NJDEP TO-15 List & NJDEP Deliverables
|EPA TO-15 SIM||Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) via SIM|
|EPA TO-17||Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)|
|MassDEP APH||Air Phase Petroleum Hydrocarbons|
|EPA TO-15 PIANO||
Parafins, Isoparafins, Aromatics, Naphthalenes, Olefins - Extended Forensic Hydrocarbon List
|EPA 3C||Fixed Gases|
|EPA 3C (Modified)||Methane, Ethane & Ethene|
|EPA TO-13 (Modified)||Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) - Extended Compound List|
|EPA IO-3.1||PM-10 and Total Suspended Particulates|
|EPA 6010C/6020A||Particulate Metals Analysis|
|NIOSH 6009 (Modified)||Mercury in Air|
* Alpha Analytical supports the 'NYSDEC MGP Indicator' compounds: Thiophenes - thiophene, methylthiophene, ethylthiophene, benzothiophene; Alkyl-substituted benzenes - 1,2,3-trimethylbenzene, 1,2,4,5-tetramethylbenzene; Aromatics - indane, indene, naphthalene, 1-methylnaphthalene, 2-methylnaphthalene.
Contact Alpha Analytical today for your upcoming MGP Site Investigation and Remediation project.
Alpha Analytical is NELAC/TNI accredited for Air Analysis and is also certified in a number of States with Air quality programs. We are also certified by the NJDEP to perform both TO-15 and the NJDEP's TO-15 Low Level methods.
MGP Site Investigation Equipment and Services
Customer Service and Technical Expertise for an Emerging Market
Our air team of experts is world-class. You will be working with the best equipment as well as the industry's leading experts - our team knows air and we are confident your experience with Alpha's air analytical services and support will be of the highest quality. Alpha provides extensive project-level technical support in all areas relating to Air and Vapor Intrusion testing and we encourage you to reach out to our specialized team of experts as a resource. Our goal is to make your air testing project run as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
Highest Quality Equipment and Sampling Media
- Over 1,000 Fused Silica-lined canisters (6.0, 2.7 and 1.0 Liter canisters), temporal and soil gas sampling
- Digital Pressure Gauges, take the guess work out of recording pressures pre- & post-sampling
- State-of-the-art GC/MS systems running simultaneous full scan and SIM acquisition modes
- PUF cartridges
- Sorbent tubes
- PM-10 and TSP filters
- 5-7 day standard - results on time and with confidence
ADEx™ & Data Merger
- ADExTM is Alpha Analytical's online data management and reporting system
- Provides instant access to your data once released from QA review
- Fast, easy, secure access to your data when you need it
- Data Merger allows you to build custom tables from multiple sampling events and review data over time - eliminates the struggles and hassles of dealing with data - let Data Merger do the work for you
- Review your data against State or EPA health standards or screening criteria - up to 5 different criteria can be selected
- Get a quick, real-time review of your data at your convenience
Courier Service - Driven to Deliver
Alpha supports MGP Site projects Nationwide. We provide both delivery and pick up for our media in our service areas with few exceptions. Large or small, our new Eco-line fleet of vehicles is here to serve you. Outside of our service area, we work with you to develop a strategy to meet your project data needs and ensure that media is there when you need it.
Largest Air Laboratory in the Northeast
With over 50,000 square feet of laboratory facilities in Westborough and Mansfield, Massachusetts and service centers extending throughout the Northeast - specifically in Portsmouth, NH; Mahwah, NJ; Piscataway, NJ; Albany and Buffalo, NY and our new service center in Holmes, PA - Alpha Analytical is building a seamless network of support centers to serve you and all your Air Testing needs.